Monday, August 5, 2013

Eleanor's First Smile!

Eleanor smiles now! We've only seen a few so far but they're starting to come. I haven't gotten a picture of a full on smile yet but I'm working on it!



But there are still a lot of other faces for us to enjoy in the meantime. Quite the expressive child.




Bradley's relationship with Eleanor has gotten a little more complicated in the last couple weeks. While he still loves her and wants to smooch her always, he also is a bit jealous of the attention she gets.

Bradley is also kind of a huge stinker these days and has some pretty funny quirks. He LOVES the show Jake and the Never Land Pirates and will climb on the couch and point at the tv and yell to try to get me to let him watch a show.


He also loves food so much. I can't sneak anything past this kid. I snuck into the kitchen to get a few peanut m&m's because my bowl of ice cream was two hours away and really, who could wait that long for dessert? He followed me and spotted me chewing so he started yelling "crak crak crak" which is short for cracker but really means anything food related at this point. I didn't think a peanut m&m was appropriate one year old food so I took him over to the counter by the sink where I had the chocolate cake (yes, we do have an impressive amount of dessert around the place). I gave him a small scoop because fair is fair, if I get a sugary treat he should too. Well, it backfired because no sooner had he swallowed than he was hollering and pointing at the new place he knew had food. More cake, more cake! He did not get any more cake and there was much sorrow. If anyone wants to go on a diet I can lend you my child, you will only eat at designated meal times and there will be someone to shout and yell at you and try to steal anything you try to eat that looks particularly tasty.

Bradley also continues to run away whenever he has a poo. The latest incident involved what I thought was a very fun game of peekaboo when he ran into the guest room and tried to hide behind the bed. Turns out my tricky child had a poo and this was the best hiding spot he could find on short notice. He's only 16 months old, what am I going to do when we hit the toddler years?

He also demands to have his clothes put on him now. Sometimes this means you end up with double socks on your feet but hey, clothes were meant to be worn. I gave him a pair of shorts fresh from the dryer the other day and he insisted that they be put on him despite the fact that he was already wearing shorts. So we took off one pair and put on the next and he was satisfied. However, he's not yet mastered this clothing game, last night he ran into Eleanor's room with a tank top of mine and tried to get me to put it on him pants style.

Bradley also has embarked on a climbing spree

Nathan wants to send a shout out to Amber and Steve for giving us the death trap toy that has not once been used for its intended purpose.


And we like to climb up the stairs. Backwards. And then escape.


On another "fun" parenting note, I have found that I know instantly and without question the sound of a child falling down the stairs. Why am I so against football? Does it really matter with this kid? He also likes to hit himself on the head with boxes or against the metal staircase railing. Thanks goodness our newest addition is a girl, I like to think she won't do these things.

Eleanor promises to learn from Bradley's rambunctious ways 

Having a Spiderman moment

Poor poor Bradley. The picture below is actually of Bradley zoned out watching a tv show while Daddy and Eleanor snuggle but it looks pretty sad for Bradley on first look.
 

But Bradley really has gotten increasingly needy and sad and I'd actually say he takes more work than Eleanor currently. The picture below is the end of a looooong Bradley night where he ultimately ended up in our bed. 


We've gotten tough on re-sleep training this boy since because there can only be one child at a time waking us in the night. Now if only if there was similar training I could use when he's crying and insisting that I carry him the same time that I'm walking around trying to get Eleanor to go to sleep for a nap.

Eleanor faces trials of her own though. This is her first photo after her first real bath. In a blue BOY crocodile towel. Oh, the indignity of it all.

So embarrassed. Where's the pink kitty towel that Mommy promised to get me?

She also is so busy all day long. First she has to make friends with the kitties who have trust issues with small children because of Bradley. Whose only real problem is just that he loves too hard. And throws toys. And now chases them around trying to grab their tails while chanting "mey ow mey ow" over and over. I'd stop him but it's hilarious and adorable.
Sookie says: "Another one? You have GOT to be kidding me."
Here Eleanor has to share Daddy's lap with Bradley

And then she has to work so hard playing with Daddy

... and his pathetic kitten friend. Our cats may be taking the new addition harder than Bradley

Fun Eleanor fact: she generally HATES leaning back or just lying sideways in your arms. She prefers to be held upright while slouching forward and will holler at you if her position isn't just right. Bradley really could be our calm, easygoing child between the two of them.

Lounging

Quite frankly all this hard work leaves a girl plumb tuckered out
Nathan's sister Abby visited for a week and we had a marvelous time with her. She and Eleanor quickly became best buds and Bradley loved playing with her when he wasn't crying and following me around demanding to be held. Like I said, it's been a rough transition for our little guy.



Eleanor chewing on her aunt. It's how bonding happens. Also, Bradley is in a bucket of stuffed toys in this video.


We went to the zoo and rode the carousel. This was the first of four animals that Bradley had Abby put him on before the ride started. I think he would have done a full tour of the entire carousel given the opportunity.

Eleanor's favorite position
We went to Paradise Park with Abby on a rainy day and we all had a pretty good time. Bradley showed that he was a highly advanced boy and followed a group of little girls into the art room and pretended to be interested in drawing so he could check them out. Doing his daddy proud!
When do the chicks come talk to me about my gentle, artistic side?

He also really enjoyed painting his face with Abby. He started grabbing crayons and trying to help after a while.

We called this: Mr Kitty Sunshine!


Final result of face painting
And this pretty much sums up Abby's visit in a nutshell

And this sums up Eleanor and her daddy's relationship right now. A girl has never been so cozy. We know this because of the snoring ...


She's such a little sweetie. It's so fun to watch her grow more alert each day.


And I leave you with the first of many sibling pictures. I hope they still do this when they're bigger and Mommy can't stage the pictures as easily.

Cute kids!!
Things are a little busy right now with two very young children and it's a bit tough here and there, especially with poor Bradley boy, but we're so enjoying both of these sweet kids and feel so lucky to get to spend our days loving them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment