Thursday, March 7, 2013

Moving Time!

Bonus picture I just discovered from Christmas!
Well, the big move is underway and while Daddy drives out to Kansas City with the kitties, Bradley and I are staying with my parents who deserve a medal for being so nice about us moving halfway across the country with a grandchild. Not to mention with another on the way.

Fun little Bradley story: Nathan was cleaning out the grill the day before the movers came so Bradley and I went outside to keep him company. Bradley discovered rocks and was happily playing with the little gravel rocks in the pathway to the house and I repeatedly tried to keep him from crawling around because I knew it would hurt his little hands. He eventually got his way and crawled on gravel. No tears. We know no pain when we really want to move around. We're so in for it with this kid.

Bradley is in heaven during this stay with my parents, my dad is able to work some flexible hours and is getting a lot of Bradley time during the day and then Grandma pretty much takes over the evening. Bradley loves both of them so much. Nathan and I really can't compete. This morning I handed the child off to my dad and went back to bed (it was a bit of a rough Bradley night) and apparently my mom had difficulty getting ready and getting out of the house for work because the Bradley monster was quite insistent that she hold him. And then this afternoon when my dad came home for lunch he did not get to have his ice cream dessert because as I was holding the little child he was making desperate noises and pushing off of me in order to get to his grandpa. It's pretty hilarious to witness.

I don't even try to compete. How can I compete with this? (The whole video is excellent but it gets AMAZING around the 45 sec mark)


And the thing I love about it is, he's like this with all of his grandparents. Mine have an advantage because they've been closer and been able to see the Bradley man more often, but he really loves all of his grandparents so much. Definitely more than his parents. Nathan's dad is driving out to Kansas with him and spending about a week with us there while we set up the house and I'm so happy the Bradley is going to get some quality time in with him. We hope we will have many visitors when we have our little girl, there's a spare room in the house and I'm pretty sure Bradley is going to feel neglected if the non-stop attention does not continue with the arrival of sweet little girl baby.

Bradley is a walking machine these days. He took about 7 or 8 steps in front of his great-grandma yesterday and then did so again in front of my dad later in the day. He hasn't done this in front of my mom because it's difficult to take solo steps when someone is helping you walk the entire time so you don't fall and maybe hurt yourself. Grandma is protective. Also, Grandma is the fun time person while Grandpa is the cuddle and go to sleep person. My dad was at work during Bradley's bedtime last night and so I told my mom to get in there and read to him and get Bradley snuggles because it's so sweet when he cuddles up to you and lays his head on your shoulder when he's going to sleep. She couldn't do it, he wouldn't settle down with her. She handed him off to me and he was asleep in his crib literally two minutes later.

The scary thing is, these are basically Nathan's and my roles with Bradley. I remember trying to play with Bradley when he was three weeks old and being a bit disappointed that all he really wanted to do was sit and look lights and shadows and then go back to sleep. And when he went to sleep I'd happily lay him in his crib so I could run around and get things done. On the other hand, Nathan was ecstatic to cuddle and take naps with our little boy and is really looking forward to getting to do this again with a fresh baby in a few months. While I am relieved that this time I can get some cuddle time in with the little girl but at least Bradley will be running around like a maniac so things won't be so quiet and quite frankly a little boring this time around. Wonderful and cuddly ... but boring when stretched out over a couple of months. I remember I was pretty relieved when Bradley started grabbing at toys and interacting with us. Just one of the things about staying home with the kids, I guess.

Not that I don't absolutely adore getting to be home with Bradley. He is so much fun these days and I love taking him out to the park and kiddie play places and even to the grocery store because I'm kind of a celebrity there when I show up with a cute kid. When we were gone for our house hunting trip in Kansas City I missed him terribly. Luckily for me, my parents took a crazy number of pictures. Here are some of my favorites:

Yes, they let the child get into cupboards and play with food

At least they didn't let him into the garbage and detergent cupboard

But everything else was fair game

Everything

Apparently my parents were pretty tired after their weekend of doting on the child's every whim

Playing with a pokey sharp thing. Delightful.

Meal time is happy time

And ... back to destruction

Of everything

When he got really tired he would snuggle up to Spongebob. He was tired a lot.

I LOVE that they got this picture

And this may be my favorite. Wow.

This is about the sweetest thing ever. Until you realize that my math teacher mother is trying to teach the 11 month old how to use a graphing calculator. 

Bradley loves raspberries

This is from our goodbye dinner with my family. This is my reaction when I find out that there are little girl clothes in this box.

Bradley is moderately impressed

Bradley with Great-Grandpa King

Amazing action shot. My mom starting shooting all pictures of Bradley in sports mode because the kid never stops moving.

With Great-Grandma King

He loves his great grandparents

He was also adorably attached to his Great-Aunt Jackie
So many cute pictures, he's such a little doll baby. It would almost be easier if he was a little more angsty and  fussy, perhaps we wouldn't have to feel as guilty about taking him away from all of his family. I hear the blizzards are lovely this time of year in the Midwest, people should come and visit us!

No comments:

Post a Comment