Friday, January 25, 2013

Social Child

Shocker, looks like Nathan and I have a social child.




I just got back from a trip to the library for infant storytime. Guess whose child crawled around and visited as many people as he could around the room? My child! We had never been before and didn't know a soul. Bradley promptly ditched me as soon as we sat down and crawled over to the woman next to us and impressed her by pushing himself up to a standing position using her leg as support. He then crawled over her foot and rolled over and crashed in his quest to get to a group of ladies and their babies across the room. He didn't make a peep after the crash, just continued over to the other side of the room where he smiled at everyone and tried to grab at a baby face or two. I got him back in time for the beginning of the organized events and he paid a moderate amount of attention to me and only tried to escape whenever we weren't singing or bouncing. At the end the lady who led the story time came up to me as I was putting on his jacket and he literally lunged for her. Stranger, never met her before. I got him back after a few minutes of chatting and he continued to lean away from me and try to get back into her arms until she walked out of reach. I think he would have been most happy if I had just had him passed around the room for the entire time we were there.

I did get him to briefly look at a couple books. The first one was fine, my child turned the pages himself and I was very proud because a couple people definitely noticed how smart and advanced my child was. But then we started going on the second book which had pictures of babies in it. Bradley made it to page three before he started trying to give kisses to every baby in the book.

This behavior didn't come as too much of a surprise. Bradley and his little friend Makayla from our parenting group exchanged their first kiss a couple weeks ago. Open-mouthed. They seemed to enjoy it quite a bit and were very upset with me and Makayla's mom the next time we met up because Bradley was a little sniffly and we didn't let them make out at all. Poor babies.

It's a good thing we didn't let them get their smooch on, Bradley got worse and has spent most of the last week being a sick little boy. He was cheerful enough while there were people around which was fine during the day and not so great at night. But at least he was mostly happy and ready to play while Colleen and Kerry were here for part two of their visit. After they left I took him to the doctor and it seems that in addition to a stuffed up nose and a cough our sweet boy also had an ear infection. He's on antibiotics now and is sleeping much better at night. We ended up just taking him into bed with us, something I swore we'd NEVER do, because the alternative was to sleep on the recliner while holding him and I really didn't see much of a difference between doing that and having him in bed with us. He spent all of last night in his crib so it seems we didn't do any permanent damage to our sleep training with him by taking him into bed with us for a few nights. Lesson learned, no need to be super strict and by the book for every little thing when you have a sick baby on your hands.



And I wish I could blame it on being sick but it seems that we have a clingy baby on our hands. Clingy is probably not the best word ... extremely social baby. Except when I'm home with him I'm the only social he's got so he just clings to me and cries if I try to put him in any of his fun toys like his exersaucer or jumperoo that allow me to do anything besides sit with him all day long. The only time he doesn't want to be around me is when he makes a break for the forbidden kitchen where he tries to get to the forbidden cat food. He'll make his move and I'll speak sternly to him and tell him to come back and he'll sit and look me in the eye and cry until he decides to make a break for it or come back to Mommy. What a kid.

We're having such a blast with this sweet boy. He's becoming more and more of a little person and it's amazing to watch.




No comments:

Post a Comment